Monday, September 8, 2008

Voodoo Corn




My summer garden is winding down. In fact, after feeling forlorn and dejected every time I walk through it, I had to finally admit IT'S OVER! Harvest time. This weekend was so hot, but I was so sick of sitting around watching the last of vacation videos with Griffin (3rd grade starts tomorrow, yay!) that I just had to go and take down the corn. It was a big hot dusty scratchy slaughter of my once majestic plants. I hung up the dry ears to cure outside my kitchen window, and they looked like a bunch of little mandrake babies. Just in time to get me in the mood for Halloween........I've bagged up most of the sunflower heads, and can't wait to pull those plants out. My neighbor had her part of the terrace cleared, so it's mostly a scrappy, dusty dirt hole back there. But as I clear out the old, compost the weeds, and tidy up, it feels so much better already. I can't wait for real fall weather and spooky nights filled with chill breezes, strange rustly sounds and the smell of my neighbors' fireplaces.

No comments: